As well as festive food, there are lots of other festive things that might tempt our dogs too that we need to make sure are kept out of their way to avoid an unwanted trip to the vets!
A lot of plants we traditionally associate with Christmas and bring into our houses can be a problem for our dogs. Poinsettias, Holy, Ivy and Mistletoe are toxic to dogs causing a stomach upset if eaten, so if you know your dog is likely to pick up or eat the leaves or berries these are definitely ones to keep out of reach. If you have a real Christmas Tree it's best to make sure your dog isn't picking up the dropped pine needles - while they are only mildly toxic if eaten, the risk is the sharp points which can cause damage and irritation to the gastrointestinal tract.
There are also some common Christmas presents and decorations that might need to be kept out of reach.
Children's toys can be one to watch as they can be a very appealing chew! Batteries are a common household item, particularly at Christmas with lots of new gadgets. If you think your dog may have eaten a battery it's important to contact your vet as soon as possible. Christmas tree decorations such as baubles, and accessories like pot pourri and candles again need to be kept out of your dogs reach too, particularly if they're left unsupervised. Dogs can really enjoy helping to unwrap presents, or shredding up any left over paper - just make sure all sellotape has been removed before giving it to your dog.